New Year New You!
Here we are at this amazing time of year. In reality, every day is a great opportunity to change course when we find ourselves on a less than optimal one. And, there’s something about a New Year that presents us with a special opportunity to forge ahead on a new path, one that brings greater health, happiness and abundance.
Most people probably agree our health is vitally important to the quality of our lives. Yet given the stress of the day from work and family, and the time we find ourselves living in, it can seem overwhelming to stay on track making healthy choices, day after day.
Yet, how we fuel our body, nutritionally AND emotionally, is the best opportunity we have to prevent premature aging, illness and disease. Stress on the body, whether it comes from our daily nutrition and resulting weight or from unmanaged emotions, is what is doing us in, way before our time.
On every corner is a fast food something or other. The company break room has sweets on the counter almost daily. The stress of the job is overwhelming. The kids schedule is consuming. Wine at the end of the day helps me unwind. A late night snack helps me sleep. A cup of coffee gets me going.
It is this intersection of our emotions and life where our greatest opportunity lies to improve our health, wellbeing and happiness. How will we respond to events and circumstances, is the million dollar question.
With over 70% of Americans overweight, almost 40% obese, about 80% experiencing physical symptoms from stress and 1/3 of us saying stress is extreme, we see the results of our lifestyle and culture.
We over eat, over work, over care, over spend, over indulge in something because it feels like that is where we can control things, where we can get comfort or escape for a bit.
So what can you do to take control of your life that will support your health, happiness and longevity? We slow things down internally. It is this internal clock, pacing at the rate you have trained it, that is the filter through which you experience and see the world.
Reaching and maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle are key. Reducing emotional stress throughout your day is key. The body needs healthy inputs, both nutritionally and emotionally.
Here are 7 tips to help you fuel your body, both nutritionally and emotionally throughout the day, for a great New Year:
1) Within 30-60 minutes of waking up, eat a small portion nutrient dense meal like oatmeal and berries.
2) Also, first thing, fuel your body with healthy emotions. Move your attention to your heart to move away from head brain activity like your schedule, resentments or fears. Take several slow, slightly deeper breaths, in and out of the heart. As you breathe, appreciate something or someone in your life for 3-5 minutes or more!
3) Repeat steps 1 and 2 every 2-3 hours to continue to fuel your body with healthy food and emotions.
4) Eat 5-6 meals/day with plant food the majority of EACH of your meals.
5) Drink water all day long, about 64 oz, until early evening. Your body is mostly water and it needs clean fresh water running through it.
6) Strive for 7+ hours/night of sleep. Your heart needs to get to its resting point and can only do so with long uninterrupted hours of sleep.
7) Strive for physical activity most days of the week including cardio, weights and flexibility.
Your health is one of the best gifts you give yourself and those you love. Let’s make 2019 the year you re-take control of your life by taking control of your nutrition and resulting weight, your daily habits and emotions. The world you see will slow down, providing you better health, clearer thinking, greater productivity and joy.